Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The high school spikes are retired!

Well this past weekend was my last high school cross country provincials in White Rock, Vancouver. For starters I would have to say this race was hard; both mentally and physically. I was in a different position than I have been in previous races because I knew, going into it that I had not done everything I could in terms of training, I knew I wasn’t in top shape and I knew tons of people secretly thought I could win it due to last year’s results. Now I’m not saying that I didn’t go into the race just thinking “oh no way I can win this” or that winning was all that I was thinking about but I won’t lie, it did come across my mind more than once that morning...

Got a little boxed in at the beginning but the new course had it so we ran around the whole soccer field which gave me time to get out in front and control the lead pack. Stride felt effortless for all of 5min...With the gradual hill made the pace and then going on to the second lap I was at the back of second pack. That is where my turn-over started to fail....which I wasn’t surprised with. Managed to use things like the short downhill and corners to my advantage but just couldn’t stay tight with the front 3. Last ½ lap was me just giving it everything....worked my arms and legs and when I crossed the finish line there were no regrets.

After the race and at the awards I did realize maybe a little late that in sport there has to be sacrifices. I trained hard all summer and peaked at my last race in mid-sept (Worlds). I know my body needed a good rest and so xc training really was not the priority until late mid-October. I gave everything I could last summer in Triathlon and couldn’t be happier with my results. So I’ll take 4th at high school cross country provincials.

Wear a helmet

No comments:

Post a Comment