Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Europe

So I left Victoria on Friday the 13th ( no nothing bad really happened luckily) and made the 18 hour trip (+layovers) to Geneva where Craig was waiting to pick me up... the train to Aix les Bains wasn't for about 2 hours so we walked around, checked out the race venue for the boys and had lunch at a very cute cafe. All I have to say about the jet lag is that coffee is mandatory! I think the day I arrived I probably have 4 cups. Taking a training into France was amazing- everything is so green and it runs along the side of a mountain with water on the opposite side.

Things have been going really well. The hotel we are staying at is run by a couple who are just amazing and go out of their way to make sure we are happy. The food as you've read on all the boys blogs and facebook updates is amazing! The training facilities are pretty good with an outdoor 50m pool and great riding- have yet to find the perfect running area.

In between training I have mostly been resting and trying not to fall asleep in order to adjust to the time change which equals me lying on my bed focusing on trying keeping my eyes open. Today has been the best day by far in terms of adjustment...I actually had enough energy to venture into the main street by bus and do a little shopping. I could spend days and days in the clothes stores here they're so different from Canada.

I have never been to Europe before and always had certain images in mind- the only thing I was really accurate about is the buildings that are old and so beautiful. A couple of times since I've been here I stop and think "woah I really am running along a lake in France" or when Yorke and I did a short ride yesterday we climbed to the top of the mountain and could look over the whole lake and all the little towns, I thought "this is so amazing". While the experience has been incredible I have to remember the main reason I travelled all this way- to race. We are sadly leaving Aix tomorrow to head to Lausanne which Im sure will be beautiful. The pre-race meeting is tomorrow night and its go time Saturday with Sprint Worlds and then the Team Relay on Sunday. My individual race on Saturday has a somewhat "stacked" start list which will be a great eye-opener and a major challenge that Im up for. The relay team is going to be AMac, Moi, Lauren and Jeff on the Sunday. Lauren is driving down to race and support Canada by being our 4th teammate, which will be great and I am really looking forward to seeing her and catching up.

Well thats all for now- my laptop decided to stop working on me yesterday right when I was uploading pictures which is the reason I haven't blogged lately or added photos. Thanks to JP for lending me his laptop :)

I miss the group in Vic and hope everyone safe travels to Kelowna tomorrow!!

Ali

1 comment:

  1. we miss you too..it all sounds so amazing where you are.. we're off to Kelowna on the 10 am ferry Thursday... rip it up on Saturday. Take pics!!! Matt and Cookie miss you too :-)

    ReplyDelete