Monday, August 2, 2010

Not exactly the Europe trip I had planned or packed for but...

So I was supposed to leave Victoria on an 11 am flight today to Tiszaujvaros, Hungary where this weekend I was going to kick off a 3-week "racing camp". The plan was to do a sprint in Hungary (it was weird- 2.5km run, 10km bike, 750m swim, 10km bike and 2.5km run... 4 transitions!) Then head to our base in Aix Les Bains, France where we would recover and get some training done in between races. There is a race Aug 15th in Geneva, Switzerland that I wasn't planning on doing but the boys (AMac, JP and Andrew Yorke) will race the continental cup. Then back to France for a little bit before heading off to Lausanne, Switzerland for Sprint Worlds and the Team Relay. Anyways about 3 days ago I came down with typical flu symptoms- the fever, hot/cold flashes and totally no energy or appetite. Together; Dr. Keller, Patrick and myself decided it would be best to stay home for the time being... I will hopefully make a great recovery and join the crew before Lausanne and compete there. I was in a way extremely disappointed but at the same time I would not want to be half way across the world, sick with no doctor and not being able to race. In the big picture this is not a big deal...I went on a short walk today because there was no chance of attempting to run and I was thinking "ya I am sick and didn't get to go to Europe today but at the same time, hands down the best training partner I have ever had can't even lift her right arm over her head and is done for the season". Now that puts things in perspective! I will still be able to train and race in the near near future.

I wish the best luck to Craig, Greg and the boys in Hungary! I am sure you'll make Canada proud and hopefully I will be joining you guys shortly.

*Most importantly
Kyla Coates- You are an amazing athlete, had a bit of bad luck but will come out of this stronger than you already are and I am so proud for the way you are handling everything. This is a small bump in the road to your success, everyone knows your a star. love you<3.

Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment